Choice 2: Matthew 13: 24-48. The Lord Often Taught with Parables
- In the Bible Dictionary read the first three paragraphs under the entry “Parables” (pgs. 740-41). In your own words, write a definition of a parable.
A parable to me means a story in which those who are familiar with the scriptures and in tune with the spirit are able to have an understanding greater than what may at first seem to be. A parable can teach deep doctrine and points about life if you are able to spiritually discern its message.
2. Read the following parables: parable of the tares (Matthew 13:24-30); parables of the mustard seed and the leaven (Matthew 13:47-50); parables of the treasure and the pearl of great price (Matthew 13:44-46); parable of the gospel net (Matthew 13:47-50). Next to each of the following questions write the name of the parable that best answers that question.
o What describes the future growth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Parable of the leaven.
o Why does the Church send out so many missionaries? Parable of the Tares.
o How do you explain the remarkable growth of the Church, considering that it is fairly new compared to most world religions and started small in the American frontier? Parable of the mustard seed.
o Why are some members of the Church willing to sacrifice so much worldly wealth and recognition in order to maintain membership in the Church? Pearl of Great Price
· Why do some Church members choose to leave the Church? Parable of the Net.
· How and what did you do to complete the assignment?
I read the scriptures as given and also looked in the institute manual to gain further insight because the parables can be hard to understand.
· Why did you decide to do the assignment you did?
I love reading the parables and I think it makes you think harder and dig deeper into the doctrine.
· What do you think is the best thing about your assignment, and how do you think it could it be improved?
The best part of the assignment was being given the different parables to read about. This can be improved upon by giving us different resources to go to in order to better understand the meanings of the parables.